Friday, August 12, 2011

Hockey Guilty Pleasures: Wil Wheaton, actor and celebrity puckhead

(Ed. Note: Our series "Puck Daddy's Guilty Pleasures" features puckheads from all walks of life answering questions about their own hockey-related guilty pleasures. It will run daily during the month of August. Have a suggestion for a "Guilty Pleasures" guest blogger?�Hit us on email. Enjoy!)

Today's Special Guest: Actor Wil Wheaton, star of "Stand By Me", Sheldon antagonist on "The Big Bang Theory" and, of course, Wesley Crusher on "Star Trek: The Next Generation." Check out him out on "Eureka" on the SyFy Channel� and read his musing on Twitter at @wilw.

1. The Player You Most Love To Hate

I'm a life-long Los Angeles Kings fan, so I don't have to work very hard to despise the Mighty Ducks, and everything about them.

From the worst broadcast team in the history of televised sports to the ugliest uniforms this side of the Kings' Burger King alternate sweater, this team -- that exists because of a children's movie -- makes my skin crawl.

So, while I'd love to say "anyone who has ever worn a Ducks' uniform," I have to spin the Wheel of Irrational Sports Hatred ... which landed on Ryan Getzlaf.

Okay, this is easy: I'm a nerd, and while I'm not under any illusions that the average hockey player wouldn't shove me in a locker just for the lulz, there's something about Getzlaf in particular that makes me want to cast him as the Asshat Jock who everybody hates in a hockey movie. I bet he'd nail the audition, on account of HE PLAYS FOR THE MIGHTY FREAKIN' DUCKS.

2. Other Than Your Own, The Team You Can't Help Rooting For

I know it's a cop-out to say "whoever is playing against the Ducks, even if it's the Sharks", so I'll just imply that and admit that I have always loved the Boston Bruins.

When I was a teenager, I got to play on this traveling team, and we had a game in the original Boston Garden. I already loved all the Original Six teams on principle, but leading my team out onto the ice there (I was a goalie) and looking at all the banners while a sold-out arena cheered made me a Bruin fan for life.

Until the Kings face them in the Finals some day; then the Bruins can suck it.

3. Favorite Fight or Brawl of All-Time

I was at the Forum for the Massacre on Manchester in the late 1980s.

The first and only time I got to see all 12 players on the ice -- goalies included -- brawl.

4. The Hideous-Looking Hockey Jersey You Secretly Love The Most

Let's get one thing straight, hockey fans: The purple and gold Kings' jerseys from the 70s and 80s aren't hideous. THEY. ARE. BEAUTIFUL. If you can't see that, you should really stop staring at the sun, or cheering for the Ducks.

What was the question? Oh, right. I can't help but love the Canucks' Flying V jerseys. If ever there was a jersey that said "What is this I don't even" it's that one.

5. Your Favorite Hockey Clich� (terminology, traditions, announcer-speak, etc.)

Jim Fox coined my favorite hockey clich� of all time when he joined Bob Miller in the booth. When someone scored through the Five-hole, Jim Fox declared that the shooter "went 'tweeners." That was more than ten years ago, and my friends and I still affectionately call him Tweeners Fox.

6. The Injury You Couldn't Stop Staring At (Non-Skate Lacerations Only)

I know it's not a real injury, but remember in NHL hockey when you could make the guys bleed with a hard enough check, and then you'd keep replaying it over and over again to mock your friend? Yeah, that.

7. Your Favorite Cheesy Hockey Reference in Popular Culture

"Puttin' on the foil, coach."

I don't think it's actually cheesy, but I love to drop a "Puttin' on the foil, coach," reference from time to time in polite company, just to see if anyone around me can catch it and toss it back.

8. Finally, What's The Thing You Secretly Respect Gary Bettman For The Most?

I imagine that he could take a kick in the nuts pretty well, so I guess I'd respect him for that.

Also, I'd like a chance to test this out personally.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Hockey-Guilty-Pleasures-Wil-Wheaton-actor-and-?urn=nhl-wp10513

Bailey, AceAce Bailey Dan Bain Hobey Baker Bill Barber Barry, MartyMarty Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment